Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pictures in High Definition using Lossy Compression

On my blog, I will soon post pictures of the final product- The Sleeping Beauty.  In order to get the best quality picture onto the computer, I will need to use something called "lossy compression". Lossy compression works to minimise the amount of data that needs to be held and transmitted by the computer.
Lossy compression is also used in mp3 players, and it works to discard the sounds that cannot be heard by the human hear (below 20Hz and above 20kHz), so that the sound is cleaner, clearer, and more defined.  I will be using this tool in the same way, but to help to improve the quality of my images.  Medium compression, which will contain 92% less of the information used in un-compressed photos, will result in the best quality image.
The images that I upload will contain close-ups of the small machine (where you plug in the statistics of your workout), the wires and where/how they connect to your body, and before and after images of The Sleeping Beauty's users.  I hope this helps! Thanks guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment